Tax To-Dos for Newlyweds

Big life changes often have tax implications. Even if a couple marries on December 31, they are considered married for the whole year for tax purposes. Switching to a different filing status isn’t the only thing that needs to be considered.

Name changes after marriage must be reported to the Social Security Administration as soon as possible using Form SS-5. The name on a person’s tax return must match what is on file with the SSA or there could be delays in processing.

Address changes should be reported to the IRS on Form 8822 in addition to notifying the post office to ensure any correspondence or refunds are received.

Couples should consider reassessing their tax withholding after getting married. To avoid issues, file a new Form W-4 within 10 days with each employer. The IRS has a Tax Withholding Estimator here that helps people choose an appropriate estimated withholding amount.

To learn more from the IRS on this topic, click here.

Scroll to Top